Looking for a unique spin on an event? Why not use a train for your event!
Amtrak, America’s national rail provider, travels to over 500 destinations around the country. It may not be the fastest way to get to where you need. But it’s a trip lacking the hassles of airport security and driving stress. And it’s not always about speed. A train trip on Amtrak’s Cascades from Portland to Seattle takes about 3 1/2 hours. While it’s possible to drive there in slightly less time, taking the train avoids the nightmare that can be Seattle rush hour traffic. (Not to mention parking!) Plus, there’s the romance of arriving at your destination in a historic station in the heart of the city.
Going further? A long-distance train journey is a great way to relax and unwind. You can get mesmerized by the scenery going by, even in so-called “boring” places. You’ll be able to accomplish a good deal of reading, writing, or drawing. Think of those things you probably don’t have the time to do in your day-to-day life. You’ll now have the time! Want a comfortable night’s sleep? Book a room in a sleeping car, where attendants will make your bed every night.
Trains for a long-distance event
There are many options for one to incorporate rail travel into an event or wedding. Here’s a few ideas:
- Group Travel: Amtrak gives discounts to groups of 20 or more people. Book through their Group Travel page to see what they can offer.
- Train Charter: How does having your own private train sound to you? Yes, you can charter your own train! Go to the Amtrak website for more information.
- Private Cars: For the next level of class, charter a vintage rail car! These cars harken from the golden age of American rail travel from the turn of the 20th Century up until the 1950’s. They are then attached to the rear of an Amtrak train. Go here to find information from Amtrak about how it works. To find cars to charter, go to Luxury Train Car Club or American Association of Private Railcar Owners.
Trains for a local event
Maybe you’re not going to travel a long distance but still want to use a train for an event? There are many tourist trains and historic museums scattered throughout the US. While most of these trains are short distance day trip affairs, but some offer longer journeys. Here are some options for the Portland area:
- Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation. Located here in Portland, this museum can host parties. The Foundation features historic trains like the Southern Pacific 4449, the Freedom Train!
- Mount Hood Railroad Located in Hood River, this railroad offers group reservations and scenic rail charters. Their Club Car has space for live bands and dancing and can be connected to a lounge car with a complete bar.
- Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. This tourist railroad runs along the coast from Garibaldi to Wheeler in Tillamook County. They offer a group discount for parties of 13 and more. Plus, they have a dinner train where you can treat yourself to a four-course meal!
As you can see, there are many ways to use a train for your event. Using rail will make your event stand out!
One thought on “Use a train for an event”